- In May, two Year 10 students prepared a piece of spoken word to be delivered at the Young Voices United event at Brunel University with Hillingdon Council. We held auditions and the girls had a go at crafting their stories.
- Sixth formers had a meet and greet with Ashley Tabor from Global to talk about their time at sixth form at the Academy, he also attended various lessons.
- Uxbridge College attended KS4 assembly to talk about Apprenticeship offers to inspire the Year 10s and to offer an alternative provision for Year 11 students who are not joining us next year.
- We held our school council meetings with each year group and the wider school council to address issues from last time and to meet the new SLT.
- 12 Year 10 students headed out to the local area for Geography field trip.
- A core group of sixth formers are attending Advanced Cinematography class run by Sam Robertson where they’re developing specialist skills with advanced equipment.
- Royal Wedding fever hit Global Academy as sixth formers hosted a Royal Tea party to celebrate the big day!
- We were approached by local film production company, Talking Pictures, who were commissioned by Hillingdon Council to make a short film about music making around the Hayes River. The company interviewed our students about their music making and also the Principal about the Academy creating future stars of the entertainment industry.
- NCS ran a special “stress less” session with our Year 11s ahead of their end of year exams.
- UAL run a special workshop with Year 12s to prepare them for the upcoming UCAS process for those who wish to go University. We have also signposted students to pick up application info.
- Global Ambassadors helped out on the Open Event showing students around the building and talking about their experiences so far to inspire other students.
Industry Partnerships/ Global
Global held its first ever Apprenticeship day with Year 13 students attending the day assessment in Central London with some of Global’s top managers. The day included one to one interviews, group tasks and more. The roles included Marketing, Artworker, Radio and Video. Globalers also had their penultimate mentoring session with the Year 13s this month.
This month we held an Audio and Radio Week in line with the industry initiative of the same name. This included a variety of projects, workshops and sessions focused around Radio and Audio.
- Monday – our student station, Youth's Choice, took part in the Mental Health Minute where they played out a special piece of audio featuring Lady Gaga, Prince Harry and William and other celebrities simultaneously with the rest of the industry to raise awareness of mental health.
- Tuesday – Capital Weekender DJ Masterclass – Year 10 / KS5
- Wednesday – 15 KS5 at Radiocentre conference with talks including Global, BBC, Radioplayer, eBay, Mediacom and more.
- Wednesday – after school CPD for non radio staff with studio practice.
- Thursday – Year 10 introduction to Youth's Choice.
- Friday – Audio Always Senior Producer, Chelsea Dickenson, Podcast workshop with KS5 / Year 10.
- Friday – KS5 Masterclass with Global engineering team.
- Friday – KS5 Masterclass with Jon Early, Managing Director of RCS.
- Friday – voice auditions for Global Academy new radio advert.
The week was a massive success and we can’t wait for it again in 2019.
Thirty of our sixth formers got to spend the day at YouTube/Google HQ for a day of workshops, inspiration and talks to get them set up for a career in vlogging. Students are now entering their vlogs into the national finals for the Vlogstar competition – our students were picked out of thousands who applied!
Sophie Austin, social media editor for Global and Steve Fernando, social media editor of Radio X came in for a special talk with the Youth's Choice team and selected Year 10s, to learn more about the skills behind social media. They also did a live critique and feedback session about Youth Choice’s social media work with the aim of developing and giving industry-led feedback. Steve also recorded some audio from the Year 10 classroom to feature on Radio X that weekend!
Other industry and employer projects during May include:
- Over 100 students got the chance to attend Capital XTRA Music Potential Unleahsedat KOKO in Camden to experience an evening of live music with Capital XTRA brand.
- Global staff working with Year 13 students on organising the end of year prom/graduation.
- 121 feedback sessions on Year 12 FMP with students from Joe Lovelock of Lovelock Studios.
- Year 10 workshop with BBC News about fake news and insight into production of BBC News.
- Ambassador and Tech Team Reward Trip to Elstree Studios to see the filming of ITV's ‘This Time Next Year’.
- Students attending Box Plus Creative Media Camp.
- Meetings with Barnet TV for future possible partnerships.
- Meetings with Dentsu for future possible partnerships.
- Meeting with IMG for future possible partners.
- This month – the careers email included work experience/projects/partnerships BBC, Channel 4, NHS, M&C SaatchI, Endemol , Box Plus Network, LCC, South Bank, SAE, Partnership for Young London and H&K Strategies.